1/02/2012

Template examples

So, I thought I would post two simple examples of how different color templates (in their simplest form) can make the same base map look quite different.



After creating the heightmap, I have data that for each point in the map, has a value between 0.0 and 1.0. When dealing with templates, I multiply these values with 255. This seems to be an acceptable detail range for color mappings. (It basically means that one template can offer 255 different colors for a map).

The next step is adding blending functionality, so that multiple templates can be layered on top of each other. The templates that are shown here are also ignorant when it comes to internal positioning. They process data values in the same manner, whether the point is on the edge of the map, or in the center. But that is definitely not necessary, and templates can be used for so much more, which I'll show soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment